Saturday 4 June 2011

Filet Mignon with Red Wine and Vanilla Sauce

Buffalo at it's best
Went and bought myself a 2 foot tenderloin the other day. Not beef. Buffalo. I have been eating buffalo quite a bit recently. Does well in the absence of beef. Though I am sure I could find some with a bit of effort. The best thing you could do to a tenderloin is to make yourself some Filet Mignons. Ideally, they are about an inch in diameter, so best use the tapered end of the loin.

I rolled a segment from the tapered end in some pepper and a bit of salt and let sit for a bit. To cook, I simply seared it in oil, with a dollop of butter and set in the oven at 200 degrees till rare.

The sauce is a good one. Got a nice sweetness. And that goes well with beef. I wanted to use juniper berries but don't get them around these parts.

In a pan, reduce to half:
  • a cup of red wine
  • the same of stock, beef preferably
  • with oregano
  • a tsp of vanilla
  • a tsp of tomato paste
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • some sugar, brown preferably
  • half an onion
  • 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
Once reduced, thicken with a roux.

Served with creamed mash and some beans for roughage. 25 quid on a plate?

No comments:

Post a Comment